Sunday, December 8, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

All growing up, about a week after Thanksgiving, my mom would make turkey noodle soup with the leftovers from our feast. I would come home from school to the delicious smell, and know the moment I opened the front door that it was turkey noodle soup day. And somehow, I always got lucky enough to arrive home just in time to sneak one of the uncooked noodles Mom had just rolled out on the cutting board. That's right, she made everything from scratch, even the noodles. 

Fast forward a few years and now I have my own little family, just Tom and I, but I still wanted to share this tradition. But we didn't have our own Thanksgiving, so there were no turkey leftovers to use. Fortunately, Costco has those awesome rotisserie chickens for just $5, so that put us in business.

I texted my mom to ask for the recipe of the soup, but the response I got was, "Sorry, I don't have a recipe, but you can call and I'll tell you what I do."

So I called, and found out that homemade soup from scratch was going to be a lot easier than I anticipated! All I had to do was basically boil the chicken carcass and make the noodles--who knew! My mom did :)

I'm so grateful to have a mom that passed down such fun traditions and a love for homemaking, and Tom sure appreciates it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment